Friday 16 March 2012

Air Hardening Clay: Cookie Monster

The introduction of the larger 2kg size of Air-Hardening clay


prompted another crafty idea on the Mont Marte blog. After a large session of cookie baking with my nieces recently it occurred to be that cookie cutter shapes shouldn’t only have one purpose in life, they really needed to get involved in the art world and become my next subject of craft sensation. I told the cookie cutters to give cooking a break and join me in the studio to make some clay cookie shaped magnets for the fridge. By the way I may have had to borrow my niece’s collection of 100 cookie cutters (I will give them back I promise... maybe). The great thing about these little creations is you don’t need to worry about getting the measurements right in the ingredients and you can keep it forever. This recipe however is not handed down from my grandmother, but just my MIND so read on for some great steps below- I’ll give you 10 points if you can tell me what I named my cookie cutter sparrow!  This activity is one of the easiest ways to play with our air hardening clay while being able to get the exact shapes you want as the moulds are already made for you! 
 
The air-hardening cookie pieces can be placed on your fridge, used as a paper weight, or if delicious looking enough, eaten (JUST KIDDING).

Material list.

1. Collect all your materials including any cookie cutter shape you can find. I am fortunate to have ‘borrowed’ my niece’s set of 100 cookie cutters. But you can get awesome ones like this http://blog.geeksaresexytech.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/ninjacookiecutters.jpg. 

2. Use a roller to create a flat surface with your air hardening clay.



3.  Press in deep with your cookie cutter.

4.  Carefully remove the clay from the shape






5. Place flat on surface and leave to dry over night.

6. Time to paint our pretties! Select any colour you feel like, prepare your palette and paint! To make this ginger bread man I mixed Yellow Ochre with Red Ochre to get that ‘ginger’ colour.





7.  Leave to dry and gaze in amazement (very important step). Also very important to name your new friends. See if you can spot Pierre my new gentlemanly mouse, or The Tweetinator my new sparrow.




8. Glue on the magnet backs with Mont Marte’s craftglue or if it is a heavier item use a hot glue gun.





Place on your fridge for many hours of fridge-staring and character roll-playing perhaps with your own Pierre? Or gingerbread man? Just whatever you do, even though he looks delicious do NOT eat the gingerbread man, he will taste like clay.

Hot tips!
  • When using a roller, make sure to lift after every roll or it will get stuck to your table surface.
  • Use small portion of water to smooth out any rough edges.
  • Make sure you wash your cookie cutters thoroughly.
  • You can reuse the left overs! Just place it in an air tight container after use, awaiting your next creation.
  • Wash your hands after clay playing. 


Would YOU eat that icecream?? answer below.

1 comment: