Friday 30 March 2012

Mirror Mirror Pt2- How to Decorate Kids Mirror with Acrylic

The last crafty blog I showed what you can do with chalk markers on a mirrored surface to create fun moments with kids (and big kids like me).

This is just a simple way to decorate a kids mirror- my main aim is to see my niece's eyes pop out of her skull! 

We had a bit of a shop at IKEA of all places for some new furniture and found a great rug (below) and a plain mirror. We could have been boring old fuddy duddies and kept it that way- but being a kid's room we wanted COLOUR. It is always nice to see matching pieces of furniture in your room so I decided to continue the design from the IKEA rug. However for others wanting to decorate plain pieces in their home, the ideas are of course endless and freeing with kid's bedrooms- just remember to ask the little little person living in the room for their own special input! My niece said she wanted ALL of those colours in the rug, so being the awesome aunt I am, she only got one colour- just kidding! Follow the steps below to create this lovely new addition to our family.



1. Take a photo of your muse or inspiration. Here I have selected a very colourful prominent feature of her room- the new IKEA rug! See her cool purple ugg boot and violin on the floor! Future musician or ... Eskimo... perhaps?

2. Select your colour palette according to the design. All the colours here are all some of our higher quality dimension acrylic paints (nothing too good for my niece!).



3. The subject to be painted is this bare IKEA mirror. Look at it for a while, pull faces in it to get the best feel for the object. 

4. Tape the inner sides of the mirror to prevent getting paint on the surface after painting in those intricate areas and coat it with a base of cream paint.


5. In pencil lay down your motif. 

 
6. Using similar colours to that of the design paint on the mirror. I have used the acrylic brush range.




7. Enjoy the results!  My niece had great enjoyment picking out the designs from her carpet as you can see here, so I gave myself a pat on the back and a sigh of relief!

See us also @
www.montmarte.net
www.facebook.com/MontMarteArt
www.youtube.com/user/MontMarteArt

No comments:

Post a Comment